Sunday, April 25, 2010

On Friday April 16 I saw a film called Exit through the Gift Shop directed by the street artist Banksy. It's a fascinating film about street art and the artist who, illegally, put up their work. Also a ridicules side of the art market.
Not that I have great fondness for the mess that a lot of graffiti artist make on pubic and private walls spaces I enjoy the humour that they occasionally show in their work. Banksy, Shepard Farley and Blek le Rat being a few of my favorites. Therefore, as I was still working on drawing using only shape, I let the idea of street art inspire me for a drawing.
Using a photo taken of me in New York some time ago I reduced the full colour spectrum to two colours.
This is the end result: A 20" x 20" charcoal and pastel drawing.

I then reduced the size and made a stencil to try and spray paint the image on paper not with any intention of going out late at night defacing walls. The stencil was quite successfull but the spray painting was not. I ended up with more black spray paint on my fingers than on the paper.




Using the now black spray painted stencil, for fun, I put it on the exterior back cover of the exhibition catalogue for Picasso's Mosqueteros.Which you might note I am using for my profile on Facebook.

These drawings were done whilst listening mainly to CDs by Maurice Steger, Mr Corelli in London and Sammartini: Sonatas for Recorder and Continuo.
I haven't decided how much the music I listen to while drawing influences my drawing. Which is the reason I mention the music occasionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment